Sunday, July 17, 2011

Can a Working Mom practice Attachment Parenting?

That was my question as I pondered this parenting style and the undeniable fact that I was returning to work.  Nonetheless, I was determined to make it work!

As a teacher/educator, I have the benefit of added in breaks to my work schedule.  Due to the fact that Harper was born via (emergency) c-section, this afforded me 8 weeks as opposed to 6 weeks of maternity leave.  And my maternity leave ended right before Spring break, so I had 9 wonderful uninterrupted weeks with my girl!  I was a babywearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding junkie!  And I loved every minute of it!  As did Harper.  Due to her small size at birth, I definitely wanted to do everything I could to ensure her health and development stayed on track.

Then came the dreaded day that I had to go back to work.  I had to make sure everything was in place for my girl and our style.  I found a great caregiver.  When I started back to work, I came with breast pump in-tow!  Fortunately, my position and schedule allowed me to sneak away at leaast twice a day to pump.  My body certainly had to adjust to the new schedule.  When it was time to pump, boy was I ready!!!

When we got home, it was babywearing and breastfeeding time!  This allowed my girl and I to reconnect and allowed us to maintain our bond.

Almost a month after I went back to work, a wonderful thing happended... SUMMER BREAK!  Two more months of time with my girl. 

Now my high needs baby is a high needs toddler (different blog post for a different day!).

Yes, you can work and practice attachment parenting.  Work to achieve the right balance for you and your family.  And enjoy the ride!

0 comments: